A few days ago I bought an TP-Link Archer C50. Hoping I would get a v3 or v1 which are supported by OpenWrt OpenWrt – TP-Link Archer C50
What I got was an Archer C50 v4 😐
At first I thought what the f***. But then I started to search the forum an found this post OpenWrt Forum – Support for Archer c50 v4
Since then I have been trying to learn how to compile my OpenWrt images and thankfully I found most of the documentation on the official OpenWrt pages.
After giving all this a try an following the description on the commit of blocktrron I finally believe to have done the wright thing.
What I have done
- Download/Clone the commit from blocktrron ant switch to the „hopefully“ correct branch.
git clone https://github.com/blocktrron/openwrt.git/
git checkout c50v4-noboot
- Update stuff from OpenWrt to start the creation process (source)
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
- Call the make menuconfig and make your changes
- Compile/make your files
- After the compiling completed I got a file named „openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin“
- Following the description on what to do in the commit message
- Copied the made file to a new empty dir
- downloaded the newest TP-Link firmware for the Archer C50v4
- did the dd and cat stuff as described in the commit message
dd if=Archer_C50v4_EU_0.9.1_0.2_up_boot-180313-rel54477.bin of=SelfMade-Archer_C50v4-OpenWrt.bin bs=131584 count=1
cat openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin >> SelfMade-Archer_C50v4-OpenWrt.bin
and this is the file I got at the end.
sha256 - 48e6174efda8405462b489f37ad4d21626fcef4885234232e7221f2034add363(VirusTotal Check of file)
Install the image to the device
This was how I installed the image to the device:
- connect the Archer c50 v4 (wired)
- Set your network to dhcp
- called the default ip (192.168.0.1)
- renamed the firmware file („SelfMade-Archer_C50v4-OpenWrt-blocktrron_c50v4-noboot.bin“) to „firmware.bin“
- installed the new firmware through firmware upload in the browser
- waited for the Archer c50 v4 to reboot
- connected via ssh (192.168.1.1)